How can I work from home with Allplan without a direct LAN connection to a common file storage folder?
1. Working from home with direct access to the central data
If you want to work together on projects, you can use Allplan Share, Allplan’s cloud solution, to work with Allplan without a LAN connection to the central file storage folder. This is only possible if Allplan is installed as a standalone version on a computer without access to a central file storage folder; otherwise, Allplan does not start. If the computer is part of a workgroup installation, the computer must be checked out and used outside the LAN (like a standalone workstation). Data access is via cloud services.
This is only possible if you use Allplan Share for cloud storage.
Working with Allplan Share is just as simple as working at a standalone workstation. You and several other users can access and edit a project at the same time.
To get more information on Allplan Share, use the following link or contact your sales partner:
You can also find further information on Allplan Connect; use the following link:
VPN is not useful for common project storage.
Allplan exchanges many files with the data server. VPN uses advanced encryption, which considerably slows down data transfer.
A connection via VPN is not approved for Allplan because data might get damaged even if the connection is interrupted only briefly. In addition, working over the internet is extremely slow if the internet connection is not fast enough (at least 100 Mbit).
Allplan does not support a VPN connection with IPv6; Allplan detects only IPv4.
Make sure that the VPN connection does not switch to sleep mode.
Please note that we cannot provide support for this constellation.
2. Working from home without access to the central file storage (working locally):
2.1 Allplan with workgroup manager:
If workgroup manager is included in your license, you can check out a computer or laptop with projects from the workgroup environment. You can then work from home without access to the server. The projects on the computer or laptop that is checked out are locked for the CAD users on the network. These users see the comment you entered when you checked out the computer.
You can find instructions at
When you use a license server, you can get the license via a VPN connection or borrow the license beforehand:
2.2 Allplan without workgroup manager:
Using the office computer
If you have neither workgroup manager nor network access, you must uninstall Allplan and install it again by specifying the local paths. To work with a project, you must back it up and then import it to the local installation.
Using a new (private) computer
If you want to use a new computer to work from home, you must return the license at the office computer and then use this license to install Allplan on the new computer.
We recommend that you do not mix data from the office computer and the private computer. Merging data later involves considerable time and effort.
Use the following link to find out how to transfer projects:
How can I check out a computer and continue to work as a normal CAD user with my usual settings and permissions?
Install the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" driver.
This driver is necessary so that network services are running on the computer all the time.
Go to Allplan Connect for a detailed description: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/000162ae.html
Sign in as the Allplan administrator to the computer.
Step 1: add the computer to workgroup manager
You must add the computer to the workgroup so that you can store data (data server) on this computer. Do the following:
Create data folders:
Create a folder - for example, “Nemdata” - on the computer and share it (full control).
Create the “Allplan” subfolder in this folder. Create two subfolders - “usr” and “prj” - in the Allplan folder.
In this example: “...\Nemdata\Allplan\prj” and “...\Nemdata\Allplan\usr”
To share a folder for the Allplan file storage
- Start File Explorer on the computer that you want to use for file storage and switch to the folder that you want to share (in this example, the “Nemdata” folder).
- Right-click the folder that you want to share and select Give access to -> Specific peopleon the shortcut menu.
- Select Everyoneand click Share.
- Start the Services application as the workgroup administrator.
- Click and select Manage computers and projects.
- Click the Add any computer to Allplan workgroupicon and select the computer that you want to add.
- Select the “Allplan” subfolder under the share and click “OK” to confirm. This computer is now listed under workgroup server.
Note:If you have problems adding the computer to workgroup manager, read the following instructions:
Step 2: define project owner
A user can only move a project if the user is the owner of this project.
The ownership of a project can only be changed by an Allplan administrator (or the owner of the project).
Allplan -> File -> ProjectPilot ->
Go to the “Projects” node, right-click the required project and click Propertieson the shortcut menu.
Define the owner.
Step 3: move projects
Sign in as the user who wants to check out the computer.
Select the Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Manage computers and projects.
Click the main server and select the project that you want to move.
Drag the projects one after the other to the computer to be checked out.
Important note: You can take projects with you in several ways.
1. You move the project to the computer.
Move project: Drag the project to the destination computer, or open the shortcut menu of the project and click “Cut”. After this, open the shortcut menu of the destination computer and click “Paste”.
After you have checked in the computer, move the project back to the server so that it is available to all and included in backups again.
2. You copy projects. Click a project, select and hold the Ctrl key and drag the project to the destination computer. Or: Open the shortcut menu of the project and click “Copy”. After this, open the shortcut menu of the destination computer and click “Paste”.
You can continue in two ways: Lock the original project on the server to protect it from changes. Consequently, nobody in the office can work on this project, but it is still on the server. When you check in the computer again, you unlock the project on the server, delete the project and copy your copy back to the server if you have changed the project.
Alternatively, both projects remain active. Consequently, both the project copied and the original on the server can be worked on. In this case, however, you must adjust the data manually when you are back in the office by copying the changed drawing files of the projects by using ProjectPilot.
Step 4: check out the computer
Select the Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Manage computers and projects.
Click your computer and then click Check outin the lower-right area.
Confirm the message that tells you that there are still user folders on the computer to be checked out.
Enter a comment and click OK. Users in the office see this comment when they try to access a project that is on the computer that is checked out.
Specify the parts of the office standard you want to copy to the computer and click OK to confirm.
The first time you check out the computer, you must copy the office standard once so that the entire STD folder is on this computer. This is no longer necessary when you check out the computer afterward because the contents of the STD folder do not change very often.
You can now remove the computer from the network and work on your projects when you are out of the office. To make sure that the projects are not changed in the office in the meantime, the projects that are on the computer checked out are locked for the CAD users on the network. These users see the comment you entered when you checked out the computer.
- You can only check out a computer to which you are signed in. You cannot check out another computer over the network.
- Projects on this computer must be neither locked nor in use.
- For installations with license server: You must also borrow a license from the license server for the computer you want to check out.
Description of the Nemetschek Softlock license server:
Description of WiBu license server:
Allplan 2016: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20150618134322.html
Allplan 2017 and later: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20160523165423.html
Why can’t I see anything in a project or why are elements missing from drawing files?
Why are layers not visible?
Why is it not possible to select a privilege set in layer selection?
Probably, you have not yet been assigned any privilege sets or the layers are frozen in the privilege set in question. First, check whether you can select another privilege set.
1. Selecting another privilege set
To do this, select the project in question and open the layer settings(Format -> Select, Set Layers). Go to the “Privilege set in list box” area at the top on the right and check whether you can select another privilege set (for example, ALLPLAN).
By default, all layers have full access rights in the predefined ALLPLAN privilege set.
If there is no privilege set with full access rights, you should assign the privilege sets correctly.
This can only be done by a user with administrator privilegesor, in the case of a project-specific layer structure, by the project owner.
Thus, log on as a user with administrator privileges and do the following:
2. Assigning a privilege set
Select the project with the frozen layers.
Open the layer settings(Format -> Select, Set Layers). Switch to the "Privilege Set" tab and click Define, modify privilege set.
Select the relevant user and assign the privilege set using the arrows.
Click OKto confirm.
3. Adjusting layers’ access rights in the privilege set
Finally, check the access rights of the layers in the privilege set assigned.
Go to the "Privilege set in list box" area at the top on the right and select the relevant privilege set (for example, ALLPLAN).
Check the area on the left to see whether there are frozen layers (gray or white). To change this, select these layers or simply select all layers using CTRL+A. Then click the Full access right (modifiable)icon in the “Change rights” area.
Click OKto confirm.
The next time you open this project, you can select this privilege set in the layer settings. You can then see all layers and set them to modifiable.
Do the same with print sets.
Since version 2006, the administrator has been able to select Show all users all print sets and privilege setsin the “Administrator options” group on the “Privilege Set” tab (“Design group” in version 2006). Thus, you do not need to assign new users to privilege sets. This option applies to all projects.
However, as soon as a user has been given a privilege set or print set, this option no longer applies to this user.
As a project can have its own layer structure, it is essential that you check the privilege set in the correct project.
To find out whether a project has its own layer structure, click
File -> New Project, Open Project-> right-click the relevant project -> Properties. Check whether the path settings for Layerstructuresare set to Officeor Project.
How can I speed up installation and the process of opening dialog boxes in Allplan?
Change a setting on the Control Panel:
Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> (Advanced tab) -> Settings -> Security -> Check for publisher's certificate revocation -> clear this check box -> OK
Allplan is certified for Microsoft Windows 7 and has the "Compatible with Windows 7" logo. This certificate guarantees higher security and reliability but requires special programming such as signing DLLs.
When these components are accessed, the program checks whether the publisher's certificate is still valid.
This requires that the relevant computer is connected to the Internet. If this is not so, you can switch this option off.
This boosts performance.
How can I access the FTP server of technical support?
You can download data from and upload data to the FTP server.
To access our FTP server, you require a current Windows operating system. Do the following:
Please enter the following address in Windows Explorer (do not use Internet Explorer!):
1. Downloading data:
You can find our data in the /Download folder.
Right-click the folder(s) or file(s) you want to download and select "Save Target As ...".
Specify where you want to copy the data by selecting a folder on your computer.
If customers agree, we can provide customer-specific data in the /Customerfolder.
For this, you will get separate instructions.
2. Uploading customer data:
If we agree, customers can upload data to the /Upload folder.
- You can upload only files. You cannot upload folders to the server. If you want to upload an entire project, please save this project to a ZIP file first.
- You can also use Internet browsers to access the FTP server. However, there are some restrictions. Use an FTP client program (for example, FileZilla)to avoid errors. This makes it easier for you to upload and download data. See the following information.
- Login details for FTP program:
Why does the "a connection to the Internet could not be established while checking certificates" message appear when I start Allplan?
The relevant computer cannot check the certificates.
According to a setting in the computer's Internet Options, certificates are checked by default.
If this check fails as, for example, the computer cannot connect to the Internet, some Allplan windows can take a long time to open.
If you have performance problems when opening dialog boxes in Allplan, clear the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation"option.
To do this, select "Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security". All you need to do is clear the relevant check box.
The certificates' validity is checked for Allplan program files.
Certificates are used to confirm the authenticity and integrity of programs.
What are the reasons why I cannot modify the format properties (pen thickness, color, ...) of elements in a DWG/DXF file I have just imported?
There are four reasons why these elements cannot be modified.
1st -the elements are smart symbols:
- To retain the smart symbols but still be able to modify the elements, select Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Modify Smart Symbol(until V2006: Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Modify Display Parameters) and click the relevant element. Now you can modify it (using Modify Format Properties, for example). For more detailed information on how to modify smart symbols, please contact us.
- If you do not want to retain the smart symbol, you can also resolve it: Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Unlink Smart Symbol, select the smart symbol(s) you want to resolve and click the right mouse button to confirm.
- To resolve the smart symbols during import, select the file to be imported, click the"Options..."button,open the "Advanced Settings" tab (until Allplan 2008 "Advanced Transfer Settings")and select the"Smart symbol"check box in the"Explode elements" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
2nd - theelements are composite elements:
- To explode a composite element, select Modify -> Advanced Draft -> Explode Composite Element. Select the composite element(s).
- To resolve the composite elements during import, select the file to be imported, click the "Options..." button, open the"Advanced Settings" tab" (until Allplan 2008: "Advanced Transfer Settings") andselect the "Composite elements"check box in the"Explode compounds" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
3rd - the elements are on frozen layers:
- To modify these elements, you first have to set the corresponding layers to modifiable. Open the layer selection by clickingFormat -> Select, Set Layers.On theSelect Layer/Visibilitytab, set all the layers to modifiable.
4th - the elements have the "from layer" format property:
- To find this out, click an element with the right mouse button and selectFormat Propertieson the shortcut menu: pen thickness, line type or line color is not available for elements with the "from layer" format property.
- To modify the format properties of the layer, select Format -> Select, Set Layers and open the'Format Definition' tab. Check that the''Match from layer based on line style, pen, line, color assigned (fixed setting)"optionis selected in the"Layers' format properties" area. Next, select the layer on which the element resides and change its format properties.
- To remove this property, clickEdit -> Modify Format Properties, select the"Change 'from layer' for pen, line and color" option(pen thickness, line type and line color must not be selected) and select the elements.
- To resolve the "from layer" property during import, select the file to be imported, click the "Options..." button, open the"Advanced Settings" tab" (until Allplan 2008: "Advanced Transfer Settings") andselect the "From layer"check box in the"Explode compounds" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
If you have any further questions regarding data exchange, this topic is described in detail in the online Help. All you need to do is press the F1 key. Open the Index tab and selectInterfaces.