How can I borrow a license for a client temporarily from the license server?
Hotfix 2016-1-4 enables you to temporarily borrow (import) licenses from the license server.
If you want to use this function, note the following points:
Borrowing licensesrequires the following steps. Make sure you do not change the order of these steps. Otherwise, you cannot borrow licenses.
- Install Allplan 2016-1-4on the client.
- Go to the server and update the software for the license server to 2016-1-4(Build-ID 1.614.x.x ).
- Go to the license server and update the licenses.
You can find a detailed description of each step in the following section.
1. Install Allplan 2016-1-4
Make sure all clients are equipped with Allplan 2016-1-4 or later.
If this is not so, install a full update or a hotfix. You can do this manually or use auto-update.
You can find more information in Allplan Connect:
To install manually
Download the current hotfix(es) manually. To do this, log in to Allplan Connect https://connect.allplan.com/de/support/downloads.htmlad go to Support - Downloads - Latest Hotfixes.
You can also download the hotfixes from our FTP server.
To access our FTP server, you require a current Windows operating system. Do the following:
Enter the following address in Windows Explorer (do not use Internet Explorer!):
You can find the hotfixes in this folder: /download/Allplan/2016/Hotfix/
2. Update the license server 2016-1-4(Build-ID 1.614.x.x )
Not only Allplan but also the license server requires the new version. Check the version of the license server. You can find detailed information on the version (Build-ID) at bottom left in the License Settingsprogram.
Make sure the version of the license server you use is at least 1.614.x.x. If you cannot see the Build-ID, you work with an older license server.
If this is so, update the license server. Download the software for the license server from Allplan Connect or from our FTP server:
Start the new License Server Setupon the server or computer you use as the license server. Right-click the *.exe file and select 'Run as administrator' on the shortcut menu.
- Click Install.
- Click Exit.
If you have not worked with the license server before or if you have not switched to Allplan 2016 until now, you can find detailed information in Allplan Connect:
3. Update the licenses
You must update your license before you can use this new function for borrowing licenses.
To update a license on the license server
- Start the License Settingsprogram on the server.
- Click License activationon the left. Then click the license you want to update so that this license is highlighted in blue.
- As you can see, the 'Update license' function is now available.
- Click Update license.
- If your license includes configurations for several seats, you must update each license separately.
To borrow a license, do the following:
You cannot borrow licenses on the license server. You can do this only at the clients.
You can only borrow and return a license if the client is connected with the license server.
Computers that are not on the company network must use a VPN connection to access the server.
At the client:
- Open the 'License settings' dialog box: Services application -> Utilities -> License settings.
- Click License selectionon the left. Then click the license you want to borrow so that this license is highlighted in blue.
- If this license is a license of the license server, the Todaybutton in the 'Borrow license for:' area is no longer grayed out.
- This button always shows the preset period of time. The default setting is Today.This button is divided into two parts. If you want to change the period of time, click the arrownext to Today. You can now choose from various options.
Note: When you select 'Today', the license will be available again for all Allplan users on the server tomorrow.
When you select a number of days, borrowing will always be valid for 24 hours. For example, you borrow a license for 1 day and borrowing starts at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, the license will not be available on the server until 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
- Click Today(selected period of time) to borrow the license immediately.
You can immediately see the borrowed license in the license selection below your computer name. Click the blue information button to get details about this license. For example, you can see when the borrowed license will automatically be returned to the server.
- If you want to return the license to the server before the time period expires, click the license again so that it is highlighted in blue. The Return licensebutton is now available. Click Return licenseto immediately return the selected license to the server.