I have some questions about large radii of circles:
How can I display them so that they are completely circular?
How can I transfer them correctly using PDF export?
How can I display them correctly in printouts?
What large radii of circles look like depends on the settings in the ‘Options’.
Select Tools -> Options -> Desktop environment -> Display ->Hardware acceleration -> graphics -> Speed / quality and move the slide bar to the right: ‘Perfect’ setting.
When it comes to PFD files, you can use the settings in the ‘PDF Export’ dialog box to define how large radii of circles look.
Select the Export document of better qualitycheck box in this dialog box.
When it comes to printouts, you can use the settings in the palette to define how large radii of circles look.
Do the following: Create -> Layout Editor -> Print Layouts -> ‘Printer’ tab- More settingsarea
Select the ‘Print at highest quality’ check box.
When I create a hidden line image of an isometric view (Viewmenu -> View-> Front Left, Southwest Isometric Viewor any other isometric view), Allplan does not use the original dimensions so that the resulting lengths are distorted.
How can I make sure that Allplan creates the hidden line image based on the actual dimensions?
In accordance with DIN, an isometric view is calculated as follows:
Allplan chooses the projection plane and the axes so that all the axes are shortened equally = axonometric projection of an isometric view.
This is the case when all the angles are the same: 120 degrees. The result is an equilateral triangle. Each side is shortened by two-thirds or 0.8165. However, the edges parallel to the axes are usually not shortened.
Angle of the coordinate axes:
x axis: 30 degrees to the horizontal
y axis: 30 degrees to the horizontal
x : y : z = 1 : 1 : 1 (using a factor of 0.8165)
When calculating an isometric view, Allplan shortens all directions by the same value (x:y:z = 1:1:1), using a factor of 0.8165.
All you need to do is resize the result in the destination drawing file by the corresponding factor (1.22475) in the x and y directions. After this, all the edges are displayed at their actual size and can be dimensioned.
How can I output a test plot with different data types used in Allplan?
Allplan comes with drawing files containing test data that can be used for this purpose.
If necessary, create a new project and copy the drawing files with the test data to this new project.
Open ProjectPilot: Allplan -> File -> ProjectPilot - Admin.
Set the external path to the '..\New\Testplot' folder, which is a subfolder of the local Allplan program folder.
Click 'External path' with the right mouse button and, on the shortcut menu, choose 'Select external path'.
Select the '..\New\Testplot' folder, which is a subfolder of the local Allplan program folder: c:\Programs\Nemetschek\Allplan\New\Testplot, for example.
The following layouts and drawing files are available:
- Layout 1 - Test Plot Allplan Testbild / Allplan Test Layout
- Layout 2 - Test Plot Muster & Schaffur / Patterns & Hatching
- Layout 3 - Test Plot Allplan Testbild / Allplan Test Layout
- Drawing file 25 - Füllflächen + Stifte / Fills + Pens
- Drawing file 26 - Muster / Patterns (Version 2006 and later)
- Drawing file 27 - Schraffuren / Hatching (Version 2006 and later)
- Drawing file 100 - Allplan Test Drawing File (Version 2008 and later)
Copy these layouts and drawing files to the new project.
Select the relevant drawing files with the right mouse button and choose 'Copy to ...' on the shortcut menu.
Select the new project.
If necessary, create a layout, place the drawing files in this layout, specify an output device and and print the layout.
Make the following settings to ensure that the data is output correctly:
- Select "white" for the background color.
- Turn off "Color stands for pen" in "Show/Hide".
- Turn off "Surface elements in background of each document" on the "Selection" tab of "Plot Layouts".
- Use Windows drivers for printing.
- For HP plotters, select the "Avoid out of memory condition" or "Output as a bitmap" option in the plotter properties.
- For optimum color output with sRGB values, apply the settings described in the FAQ entitled Color adjustment - Windows drivers and Nemetschek vector drivers.
Colors in printouts can vary depending on several factors such as
- Output device used
- Paper used
- Ink used
- Driver type used (Windows or Nemetschek drivers)
In particular, colors can differ regarding
- Color display
Colors in printouts can even vary if you use the same output device but different Windows drivers.
On-screen display can be influenced by various factors such as different settings for contrast and color temperature.
As the possible settings are so widespread, you can see that it is essential to print out test data in advance.
How can I use Allplan to create PDF documents (Portable Document Format) that can be opened and viewed using PDF viewers such as the free Acrobat Reader?
You can export PDF files directly from Allplan.
In addition to the design, bitmap areas and text, the direct export tool transfers layers, OLE objects, transparency and gradients.
Of course, you can also use external programs such as Adobe PDF and FreePDF to create PDF files. However, these programs do not provide all the options mentioned above. For example, transparency is not transferred.
Allplan provides the following options for exporting PDF data:
1. using the layout editor:
Create -> Plot Layout -> Export PDF Data
2. using the print preview:
Click the Export PDF Data icon in the toolbar at the top
3. exporting 3D PDF files from the animation window:
You can create a PDF file from the animation window. This file contains the 3D model displayed in the animation window.
This option is not described any further in this FAQ.
When exporting PDF data, you specify the file name in a dialog box, where you can also make basic settings for the PDF file:
- Resolution (in dpi)
- Document size (paper size (with margin) or printable area (without margin))
- Entire layout content
- Archiving format PDF/A 1a
- Export layers
- Embed TrueType fonts
- Add to file (first select an existing PDF file in this dialog box and then select this option -> the PDF file is attached as a new page to the existing file)
- Grayscale (version 2011 and later)
- Open file with associated application (should be selected. After you have created it, the PDF file automatically opens in this application so that you can check it.)
Note on the page format (new in Allplan 2011):
In Allplan 2011 and later versions, you set up a page in Allplan. The page size should be used as the size for the PDF file.
You need to exactly define the size you require for the page.
To use the page size for exporting the PDF file, select the following options:
- Select 'Paper size (with margin)'.
- Clear the 'Entire layout content' check box, if necessary.
Notes on 1. settings in the Plot Layout module:
You can make advanced settings in the "Plot Layouts" dialog box.
The following settings are used for exporting PDF data:
- Plot elements / options (Selection tab)
- Paper format and orientation (Output tab); see the above notes on the page format.
- Resizing: Resizing factor, resize pen thickness and rotation by 90° (Settings tab)
- Pen and color assignments... (Settings tab)
-> Line thickness for monochrome output and line colors for color output
-> Line display in color, black or using shades of gray (can only be changed when you select a color printer beforehand)
-> Gamma correction
- No pen optimization/ Use one pen only (number:)
- Plot profile (Settings tab)
Notes on 2. settings in the print preview:
The PDF file is exported as it is currently displayed on screen.
You can make the settings that are used for the "Print" tool directly in the print preview (Display tab in the Print Preview Options).
To export PDF data in color, you need to install a printer driver that supports color and select this driver in the layout before you start exporting the PDF data.
It is advisable to install a printer driver for a large-format color plotter such as an HP DesignJet even if your office is not equipped with a large-format printer/plotter.
[Install as a local printer/ without plug & play, port: FILE, do not share the printer, do not print a test page.]
There are problems with the license in Allplan during or after the update to Windows 8.1 Allplan only starts as a viewer.
What can I do?
Depending on the licensing system you use, there are different issues to bear in mind.
Fix Nemetschek Softlock License Manager as described in the following document:
Uninstall the hardlock driver (Sentinel runtime driver) during the update to Windows 8.1 as described below:
Install the latest hardlock driver after the Windows update. You can find the driver and the instructions using the following link:
I purchased a new license and received a Product Key for Allplan. However, I use earlier Allplan versions with NemSLock server in my office. How can I install Allplan 2015 or an earlier version despite the new license? How can I activate the license on NemSLock server?
Allplan 2016 introduced a new protection system. Since then licensing has been based on CodeMeter by Wibu Systems AG. You can no longer use NemSLock server with Allplan. For running Allplan, you get a Product Key by email. Using this key, you can activate your license online.
This new license is not downward compatible. Consequently, you cannot use it for earlier Allplan versions.
If you want to install Allplan 2015 or an earlier version, use a trial license to install the version you need.
Make sure the Allplan version you install is always up-to-date. In other words, it should include the latest hotfixes and service releases.
You can download the current Allplan version from Allplan Connect or the FTP server.
Downloading from Allplan Connect:
Copy this link and paste it into the address bar of Windows Explorer. Then press ENTER.
This opens the folder on our FTP server.
Go to /download/Allplan/2015/CD (choose the path in accordance with the version you need) and select the appropriate file. Then click Edit -> Copy (Ctrl+C).
Switch to a folder on your computer and select Edit -> Paste (Ctrl+V).
Extract the ZIP file. Right-click the EXE file and select "Run as administrator".
Deactivate the virus scanner during installation.
1. Install Allplan with a trial license
Install Allplan. In the 'Select License Information' dialog box, choose 'Trial license for temporary use' and select the license for 'Architecture' or 'Engineering'.
Important: If you work with Workgroup Manager, select 'Different trial license' -> 'Next'. Open the Workgroup folder for your country and select the appropriate license. Then follow the instructions and install Allplan. Make sure you enter the paths correctly.
2. Use NemSLock server to request a registered license for the new seat
If you have not used a license server until now, install the license server using the trial license for NemSLock Server.
Installing NemSLock Server
- Start the Setup program for NemSLock Server. You can find the latest Setup program on our FTP server:
- The trial license is also on the FTP server:
ftp://nemhotline:email@example.com/download/Allplan/Lizenzserver/Allplan 2015 Nemslock Server Trial.nslsrv
- Select the trial license file for NemSLock Server. This license is valid for 30 days, but it includes only seat. The full number of seats purchased will be available to you as soon as you have installed the registered licenses (see below).
- Select the full installation.
- If the service does not start automatically after Setup, select Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and start the Nemslock Server 2006 service.
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Consoleby clicking the corresponding icon on the desktop or by selecting Start -> All Programs -> NemSLock 2006 Server -> NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Switch to Moduleson the left.
- Select one of your seats.
- Click the Registration request (register.txt)button.
- Click Edit.
- Fill out all fields marked with an asterisk (*). Make sure you enter your email address correctly, because the registered license file will be sent to this address (and not to the address of the person who sent the registration request!). Click OKto confirm.
- Click Create registration request. Windows Explorer opens and shows the register.txt file.
If you have closed Windows Explorer, you can find the file in the program folder of NemSLock Server. If you installed the program to the path proposed, the path is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nemetschek\NemSLock Server 2006\Programs\License.
- Use an editor to open the new register.txt file.
You can find the entry for your seat in line @23@seat:. Change it and enter your new seat number instead. For example, if you purchased seat 08, change the entry to @23@seat: 08. Save the file.
- You can now use all the options provided by Windows Explorer to copy the registration file to a computer with Internet connection. You can do this on the network or you can use a USB stick. You can then email the file to us.
- Send the email with the registration request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will promptly receive your registered license for the new seat.
Exit Allplan on all workstations.
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click Stop serveron the left.
- Switch to Moduleson the left.
- Click Browse and select the registered license file.
- Click Install license file.
- After this, you can start the server again by clicking Start server.
If you purchased several new licenses, you have to generate and send a separate registration request for each seat. Just repeat the steps described above. You will then receive a registered license file for each seat. You must install each file.
What license issues do I need to consider when upgrading from Allplan 2014/2015/2016 to Allplan 2017?
Allplan 2016 introduced a new protection system. Since then licensing has been based on CodeMeter by Wibu Systems AG. Allplan 2017 uses this protection system, too.
1. Upgrading stand-alone workstations
1a. Stand-alone workstation - upgrading from Allplan 2016
The license for Allplan 2017 updates automatically. Start Setup and follow the instructions displayed. When you are prompted to select the license file, click 'Use active license'.
Follow the installation instructions.
Note: The licenses only update automatically when you upgrade. To install Allplan 2017 on a new computer, please read the following instructions: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20150618131629.html
You can find your Product Key in Allplan Connect as usual. Go to http://connect.allplan.com/license
1b. Stand-alone workstation - upgrading from Allplan 2014 or 2015
Start Setup and follow the instructions displayed. When you are prompted to select the license file, click 'License activation'. Enter your Product Key (26-digit code) and click 'Activate license'. By activating your license, you connect it with your computer. Follow the installation instructions.
You can find detailed information at
2. Upgrading license server workstations
2a. License server workstations - upgrading from Allplan 2016
Start by updating your license(s) at the license server. After this, upgrade the clients.
Check the version of the license server. If you use the license server 2016-1-4 or later, you can find the version number (Build-ID) at bottom left in the License Settingsprogram. The version number should be at least 1.614.x.x. If you cannot see the Build-ID, you work with an older license server. In this case, update the license server first. Download the software for the license server from Allplan Connect.
You can find detailed information at
After having updated the licenses, you can upgrade Allplan at the clients. Start Setup and follow the instructions displayed. The license server license will be detected automatically on the network. When you are prompted to select the license file, click 'Use active license'. Follow the installation instructions.
Note: You can update the licenses only at a license server you have already installed. If you want to switch to Allplan 2017 and move the license server to a new server, please read the following instructions:
You can find your Product Key for Allplan 2016 in Allplan Connect as usual. Go to http://connect.allplan.com/license
2b. License server workstations - upgrading from Allplan 2014 or 2015
Start by installing the license server. After this, upgrade the clients.
You can find detailed information at
Downloading licenses from Allplan Connect
You can find your license for Allplan 2014 BCM and the activation code for Allplan 2017 IBDin Allplan Connect. As an extra servicewe provide the old licenses for hardlock stand-alone workstations, the temporary licenses for NemSLock and the Product Keys for the new software protection system. Click
Profile > License administration.
Only administrators can use this function.
How can I use data from the "Shell" module in Allplan 2017 and later?
Data conversion in Allplan 2017
Allplan 2017automatically converts shell data from earlier versions the first time you open the project or *.ndw file in question.
Alllayouts you created ofgeneral arrangement drawings and reinforcement drawings stay as they are!
The 3D reinforcement modelstays as it is!
Theshell entitybecomes a 3D solid.
The views and sections(including reinforcement) become 2D elements and text.
Editing the data
As the old shell entitybecomes a 3D solid(construction lines) and the 3D reinforcement model stays as it is, you can create new associative views and sections from the model data.
Before you can do this, you need to assign "normal" format properties to the 3D solid created from the shell entity, as you cannot create associative views and sections from a solid in construction line format.
You canplace, modify and labelthe reinforcement without any restrictions. You can create schemas, legends andreportsas usual.
Can I run Allplan 2018 on an Apple computer?
Basically, you have two options to run Allplan 2018 on an Apple computer.
1. Allplan 2018 with Parallels Desktop 13
Quality assurance at Allplan tested this option with the following components:
- iMac (end of 2015 or later)
- Intel Core i5, i7 or i9 processor
- 16 GB of RAM
- 50 GB of free hard disk space
- AMD graphics card or NVIDIA graphics card (Note: Parallels does not support OpenGL 3.3. Consequently, Allplan uses GDI+, and the graphics card is labeled as unsuitable by the system test.)
You can also use the following hardware, which was not tested:
- MacBook Pro (end of 2015 or later)
- Intel Core i7, i9
- NVIDIA graphics card
- Mac macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 or later
- Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac
- Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
- Allplan 2018-0-6 or later
Please note that running Allplan 2018 on Parallels Desktop 13 is much slower than running Allplan 2018 on a native Windows operating system.
Parallels Desktop 13 supports OpenGL 3.2. Therefore, Allplan 2018 must use the GDI+ mode, which is generally not suitable for architectural data. We do not recommend using this approach. Parallels Desktop 13 is available as a free 30-day version. So, you can test Parallels Desktop 13 for 30 days and see for yourself.
Important note: You cannot activate an Allplan trial license or presentation license with Parallels Desktop 13.
2. Allplan 2018 with Boot Camp
This option has not been tested by quality assurance at Allplan. With Boot Camp, Allplan 2018 runs on a native Windows operating system. Therefore, Allplan 2018 with Boot Camp is faster than Allplan 2018 with Parallels Desktop 13.
Make sure you use current hardware and software (Mac macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 or later).
We do not provide support for this installation.
You can find the software requirements and hardware requirements for Allplan 2018 on this page: