This document provides further information on installing Allplan 2017.
Backing up and archiving data:
We strongly recommend that you back up and archive all your data before you upgrade to Allplan 2017.
How to install:
You can find detailed instructions on how to install Allplan 2017 in the following places:
- After you have downloaded Allplan 2017, you can find the install.chm file in the Helpfiles\English folder.
- You can find the install.chm file on the Allplan 2017 DVD in the following folder: <DVD>:\programs\x64\Allplan\Helpfiles\English.
Please read these instructions before you install Allplan 2017.
- System requirements for Allplan 2017
- How to handle licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2017
Allplan 2016 introduced a new protection system. Licensing is now based on CodeMeter by Wibu Systems AG. You can no longer use Softlock, NemSLock server or hardlock with Allplan 2016 and Allplan 2017.
Some notes on installing Allplan 2017
If you want to switch from Allplan 2014/2015/2016 to Allplan 2017, you can choose between three installation options. We recommend using the second option: first-time installation and copy data from Allplan 2014/2015/2016.
1. First-time installation
This option installs Allplan 2017 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2016 or earlier). Setup does transfer neither data nor settings to the new installation.
If you want to transfer data later, you have the following options:
You can uninstall Allplan 2017 and then upgrade from Allplan 2014/2015/2016.
You can integrate the data manually (requires administrative knowledge).
2. First-time installation and copy data from Allplan 2014/2015/2016
This option installs Allplan 2017 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2016 or earlier). You can configure the program to automatically copy the office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) from Allplan 2014/2015/2016 to the new installations folder.
This duplicates the data: you can use all projects, defaults and resources both in Allplan 2016 and in Allplan 2014/2015/2016. This way, you can test the new version without losing your 'old' Allplan version.
Bear in mind, though, that you should not mix data from different versions, as merging data later involves considerable time and effort.
2a. Continue with first-time installation and copy data from version
This option is available when you have already installed <Product_Version> and copied the data to a different computer that accesses the same data server. As a result, the data have already been transferred.
3. Upgrade and transfer data from Allplan 2014/2015/2016
This option installs Allplan 2017 to an existing folder, converting Allplan 2014/2015/2016 to Allplan 2017 and transferring all important settings. Afterwards, you can no longer work with Allplan 2014/2015/2016.
This does nor affect earlier Allplan versions (Allplan 2013 or earlier).
Installing on a network:
- If you work in a network environment (one common central file storage folder), you must upgrade all workstations to Allplan 2017. Therefore, make sure you can upgrade all workstations (deadline for Serviceplus agreement: July 1, 2016) beforeyou start installing.
- During the upgrade, Allplan 2014/2015/2016 must not be running on any workstation.
- When installing with Workgroup Manager, make sure all workstations are checked in before you start upgrading.
- Data from earlier Allplan versions must be converted. Allplan 2017 automatically converts the data of a project you open. Click here for instructions on how to convert all projects in a single step:
IBD 2017 is expected to be released with the Allplan 2017-0-1 Hotfix at the end of July 2016.
Can I run Allplan on Apple computers?
You have to options for running Allplan on Mac computers: natively using Boot Camp or virtually using Parallels Desktop. Please note that Allplan supports Boot Camp only. For installations with Parallels Desktop, we merely offer an installation guide ("Allplan On Mac", see below).
- MacBook Pro or iMac
- Intel Core i5 or i7 Processor
- 4 GB RAM
- 20 GB free hard disk space
- AMD or Nvidia graphics card
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8
- Windows 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1
In addition when using Boot Camp:
- Boot Camp Windows installation
- A blank CD or DVD
- The function of the DEL key needs to be moved to an existing key; otherwise, logging on to Windows requires an external keyboard.
In addition when using Parallels Desktop:
- Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac
- A license for Parallels Desktop 8 (you can request a trial license for Parallels Desktop while installing)
- Allplan On Mac setup file; you can download this file from Allplan Connect: connect.allplan.comde/support/downloads.html
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit license and DVD
- Allplan 2012-1 DVD or download
- You can find further information on Allplan On Mac at:https://connect.allplan.com/de/more/allplan-on-mac.html
There is no provision for a direct installation under Mac OS.
We kindly ask you to understand that Allplan cannot provide support for installing Boot Camp.
An installation with Parallels Desktop is subject to the following conditions and restrictions:
- The Allplan On Mac software is free to download.
- Setup is offered as a "technology demo".
- As this is a technology demo, Allplan does not assume any responsibility or liability for the reliability of the complete system in any environment; nor does it provide any technical support.
- There may be some restrictions in conjunction with some hardware combinations.
We tested the following constellations: Windows 7 64-bit | Parallels 8+9 | Allplan 2013-1
Allplan 2014-1 runs with Parallels 9.
Can I run Allplan 2018 on an Apple computer?
Basically, you have two options to run Allplan 2018 on an Apple computer.
1. Allplan 2018 with Parallels Desktop 13
Quality assurance at Allplan tested this option with the following components:
- iMac (end of 2015 or later)
- Intel Core i5, i7 or i9 processor
- 16 GB of RAM
- 50 GB of free hard disk space
- AMD graphics card or NVIDIA graphics card (Note: Parallels does not support OpenGL 3.3. Consequently, Allplan uses GDI+, and the graphics card is labeled as unsuitable by the system test.)
You can also use the following hardware, which was not tested:
- MacBook Pro (end of 2015 or later)
- Intel Core i7, i9
- NVIDIA graphics card
- Mac macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 or later
- Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac
- Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
- Allplan 2018-0-6 or later
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Running_Allplan_2018_on_an_Apple_computer.pdf...
Please note that running Allplan 2018 on Parallels Desktop 13 is much slower than running Allplan 2018 on a native Windows operating system.
Parallels Desktop 13 supports OpenGL 3.2. Therefore, Allplan 2018 must use the GDI+ mode, which is generally not suitable for architectural data. We do not recommend using this approach. Parallels Desktop 13 is available as a free 30-day version. So, you can test Parallels Desktop 13 for 30 days and see for yourself.
Important note: You cannot activate an Allplan trial license or presentation license with Parallels Desktop 13.
2. Allplan 2018 with Boot Camp
This option has not been tested by quality assurance at Allplan. With Boot Camp, Allplan 2018 runs on a native Windows operating system. Therefore, Allplan 2018 with Boot Camp is faster than Allplan 2018 with Parallels Desktop 13.
Make sure you use current hardware and software (Mac macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 or later).
We do not provide support for this installation.
You can find the software requirements and hardware requirements for Allplan 2018 on this page:
When I create a hidden line image of an isometric view (Viewmenu -> View-> Front Left, Southwest Isometric Viewor any other isometric view), Allplan does not use the original dimensions so that the resulting lengths are distorted.
How can I make sure that Allplan creates the hidden line image based on the actual dimensions?
In accordance with DIN, an isometric view is calculated as follows:
Allplan chooses the projection plane and the axes so that all the axes are shortened equally = axonometric projection of an isometric view.
This is the case when all the angles are the same: 120 degrees. The result is an equilateral triangle. Each side is shortened by two-thirds or 0.8165. However, the edges parallel to the axes are usually not shortened.
Angle of the coordinate axes:
x axis: 30 degrees to the horizontal
y axis: 30 degrees to the horizontal
x : y : z = 1 : 1 : 1 (using a factor of 0.8165)
When calculating an isometric view, Allplan shortens all directions by the same value (x:y:z = 1:1:1), using a factor of 0.8165.
All you need to do is resize the result in the destination drawing file by the corresponding factor (1.22475) in the x and y directions. After this, all the edges are displayed at their actual size and can be dimensioned.
What are the reasons why I cannot modify the format properties (pen thickness, color, ...) of elements in a DWG/DXF file I have just imported?
There are four reasons why these elements cannot be modified.
1st -the elements are smart symbols:
- To retain the smart symbols but still be able to modify the elements, select Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Modify Smart Symbol(until V2006: Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Modify Display Parameters) and click the relevant element. Now you can modify it (using Modify Format Properties, for example). For more detailed information on how to modify smart symbols, please contact us.
- If you do not want to retain the smart symbol, you can also resolve it: Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Unlink Smart Symbol, select the smart symbol(s) you want to resolve and click the right mouse button to confirm.
- To resolve the smart symbols during import, select the file to be imported, click the"Options..."button,open the "Advanced Settings" tab (until Allplan 2008 "Advanced Transfer Settings")and select the"Smart symbol"check box in the"Explode elements" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
2nd - theelements are composite elements:
- To explode a composite element, select Modify -> Advanced Draft -> Explode Composite Element. Select the composite element(s).
- To resolve the composite elements during import, select the file to be imported, click the "Options..." button, open the"Advanced Settings" tab" (until Allplan 2008: "Advanced Transfer Settings") andselect the "Composite elements"check box in the"Explode compounds" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
3rd - the elements are on frozen layers:
- To modify these elements, you first have to set the corresponding layers to modifiable. Open the layer selection by clickingFormat -> Select, Set Layers.On theSelect Layer/Visibilitytab, set all the layers to modifiable.
4th - the elements have the "from layer" format property:
- To find this out, click an element with the right mouse button and selectFormat Propertieson the shortcut menu: pen thickness, line type or line color is not available for elements with the "from layer" format property.
- To modify the format properties of the layer, select Format -> Select, Set Layers and open the'Format Definition' tab. Check that the''Match from layer based on line style, pen, line, color assigned (fixed setting)"optionis selected in the"Layers' format properties" area. Next, select the layer on which the element resides and change its format properties.
- To remove this property, clickEdit -> Modify Format Properties, select the"Change 'from layer' for pen, line and color" option(pen thickness, line type and line color must not be selected) and select the elements.
- To resolve the "from layer" property during import, select the file to be imported, click the "Options..." button, open the"Advanced Settings" tab" (until Allplan 2008: "Advanced Transfer Settings") andselect the "From layer"check box in the"Explode compounds" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Elements_cannot_be_modified_after_import.pdf...
If you have any further questions regarding data exchange, this topic is described in detail in the online Help. All you need to do is press the F1 key. Open the Index tab and selectInterfaces.
How can I temporarily transfer the NemSLock license of a registered computer to a different computer?
How can I interchange the NemSLock licenses of two registered computers?
You can use Nemetschek's Softlock License Manager to transfer the license temporarily (up to 30 days) to a different computer. Of course, you can return the license to the original computer before this time limit expires.
Open the License Manager by selecting the Services application -> Utilities -> License -> License Manager (NemSLock).
Select Export/import - License transfer
You can choose between a transfer that is "Directly on the network" and one that is "Indirectly by transfer file". The direct transfer requires that the source computer and the destination computer are on the same network. As opposed to the indirect transfer, you can also exchange licenses when you opt for the direct transfer.
Direct license transfer
First, set the destination computer to reception mode by selecting Directly on the network -> (Re-)Import license-> Selection.
Now you can transfer the license form the source computer to the destination computer using Directly on the network -> Export license -> Transfer.
Detailed information on this topic is provided in the Help (press F1).
Direct license exchange
You can use this option to exchange the licenses of two computers temporarily. This is very useful if the licenses of these two computers contain different program configurations.
Specify which computer is to be the master and which computer is to serve as the slave.
At the computer that is to serve as the slave, select Directly on the network -> Exchange licenses -> Slave and set it to Reception.
At the computer that is to serve as the master, click Directly on the network-> Exchange licenses -> Master.
Detailed information on this topic is provided in the Help (press F1).
Offline license transfer
You can also transfer the license to a computer that is not on the network.
To do this, select Indirectly by transfer file.
This requires that you create a computer-specific Computer IDof the destination computer. You only need to do this once. The next step is to export the license file for the specific computer ID on the source computer. You can use an USB stick to transfer the exported license to the other computer. You can also send it by email. Finally, install the license on the destination computer.
Detailed information on this topic is provided in the Help (press F1).
- If you have a new computer where you want to use the license permanently, use the Relocate licenses -> Transfer licenses permanently to a computertool .
In this case, the license is returned to Nemetschek and you receive a registered license for the new computer. Follow this link for detailed instructions: https://connect.allplan.com/de/faqid/0003f5ca.html
How can I use Allplan to create PDF documents (Portable Document Format) that can be opened and viewed using PDF viewers such as the free Acrobat Reader?
You can export PDF files directly from Allplan.
In addition to the design, bitmap areas and text, the direct export tool transfers layers, OLE objects, transparency and gradients.
Of course, you can also use external programs such as Adobe PDF and FreePDF to create PDF files. However, these programs do not provide all the options mentioned above. For example, transparency is not transferred.
Allplan provides the following options for exporting PDF data:
1. using the layout editor:
Create -> Plot Layout -> Export PDF Data
2. using the print preview:
Click the Export PDF Data icon in the toolbar at the top
3. exporting 3D PDF files from the animation window:
You can create a PDF file from the animation window. This file contains the 3D model displayed in the animation window.
This option is not described any further in this FAQ.
When exporting PDF data, you specify the file name in a dialog box, where you can also make basic settings for the PDF file:
- Resolution (in dpi)
- Document size (paper size (with margin) or printable area (without margin))
- Entire layout content
- Archiving format PDF/A 1a
- Export layers
- Embed TrueType fonts
- Add to file (first select an existing PDF file in this dialog box and then select this option -> the PDF file is attached as a new page to the existing file)
- Grayscale (version 2011 and later)
- Open file with associated application (should be selected. After you have created it, the PDF file automatically opens in this application so that you can check it.)
Note on the page format (new in Allplan 2011):
In Allplan 2011 and later versions, you set up a page in Allplan. The page size should be used as the size for the PDF file.
You need to exactly define the size you require for the page.
To use the page size for exporting the PDF file, select the following options:
- Select 'Paper size (with margin)'.
- Clear the 'Entire layout content' check box, if necessary.
Notes on 1. settings in the Plot Layout module:
You can make advanced settings in the "Plot Layouts" dialog box.
The following settings are used for exporting PDF data:
- Plot elements / options (Selection tab)
- Paper format and orientation (Output tab); see the above notes on the page format.
- Resizing: Resizing factor, resize pen thickness and rotation by 90° (Settings tab)
- Pen and color assignments... (Settings tab)
-> Line thickness for monochrome output and line colors for color output
-> Line display in color, black or using shades of gray (can only be changed when you select a color printer beforehand)
-> Gamma correction
- No pen optimization/ Use one pen only (number:)
- Plot profile (Settings tab)
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Creating_PDF_files.pdf
Notes on 2. settings in the print preview:
The PDF file is exported as it is currently displayed on screen.
You can make the settings that are used for the "Print" tool directly in the print preview (Display tab in the Print Preview Options).
To export PDF data in color, you need to install a printer driver that supports color and select this driver in the layout before you start exporting the PDF data.
It is advisable to install a printer driver for a large-format color plotter such as an HP DesignJet even if your office is not equipped with a large-format printer/plotter.
[Install as a local printer/ without plug & play, port: FILE, do not share the printer, do not print a test page.]
How can I export and import projects using Allplan Building Costs?
The following FAQ describes this topic only briefly.
For detailed information, please refer to the help by clicking Help -> Contents and Index:
Backing up data and archiving projects -> Backing up and archiving projects using archive administration -> Backing up projects
If you have received data from us or if you send data to us, please read the 'Important information' section at the end of this FAQ!
- SelectProject data -->Archive...; the Archive Administration dialog box opens.
- Click Pathand set the archive folder.
- Please make sure that Formatis set to Archive (version 4.0 and later).You can find this setting at bottom right.
- Select the project you want to archive in the list box on the left.
- ClickArchive projectto start backing up the data.
- The project appears in the list box on the right.
- As a result, the program has created an XXX.arafile.
- StartAllplan Building Costs.
- SelectProject data -->Archive...
- Click Pathand set the archive folder.
- The project appears in the list box on the right; select it and click Restore archive.
- If the program asks whether you want to create a copy, you are advised to do this to protect existing data.
- The project appears in the list box on the left; you can now edit it.
You can use this type of archiving to back up project data. Please note that this backup does not contain the complete database!
This type of archiving is very useful if you want to transfer data to technical support.
If you send a project, please do not forget to provide us with a detailed description of the problem.
This description should include the following information:
- Program and version
- When does the error occur? Or what did you do when the error occurred?
- What does the error message say? A screenshot would be very helpful.
(Pressing the Printkey copies the current contents of the screen to the Clipboard. Using CTRL+V, you can paste this screenshot into a Word document, save this file and send it to us.)
- Office name or customer number and telephone number so that we can contact you.
We kindly ask you not to make any changes in the project in the meantime.
A note on fixed projects:
Please do not copy any data from a corrupt project to a fixed project as this may transfer the corrupt data to your current project!
I have some questions about large radii of circles:
How can I display them so that they are completely circular?
How can I transfer them correctly using PDF export?
How can I display them correctly in printouts?
What large radii of circles look like depends on the settings in the ‘Options’.
Select Tools -> Options -> Desktop environment -> Display ->Hardware acceleration -> graphics -> Speed / quality and move the slide bar to the right: ‘Perfect’ setting.
When it comes to PFD files, you can use the settings in the ‘PDF Export’ dialog box to define how large radii of circles look.
Select the Export document of better qualitycheck box in this dialog box.
When it comes to printouts, you can use the settings in the palette to define how large radii of circles look.
Do the following: Create -> Layout Editor -> Print Layouts -> ‘Printer’ tab- More settingsarea
Select the ‘Print at highest quality’ check box.