Which graphics cards are recommended for Allplan?
Follow this link to see a list of the AMD/ATI & NVidia graphics cards manufacturers that are CERTIFIED FOR ALLPLAN.
We have tested the OpenGL functionality and the animation performance of various Allplan modules with specially prepared data with each of the cards available.
The tested drivers can be found on the homepage of the individual manufacturer. The driver versions that were used in the tests are included in the tables so that you can compare the data. However, we strongly recommend that you always installthe current driver of the manufacturer.
It is a good idea to check your system using the system tool you can find on our homepage:
Allplan 2011 was revised completely for accelerated graphical representation.
To guarantee full performance support for Allplan 2011 and later, please check that your graphics cards meet the hardware requirements for DirectX 10 & OpenGL 2.0 (chip-based). In addition, you need to install the current drivers. Allplan will automatically switch to the conventional drawing method when it starts and finds old graphics cards that do not meet the requirements stated above.
For more information on graphics card specifications, go to
We kindly ask you to understand that products of other manufacturers that are not mentioned have not been tested and therefore cannot be recommended.
What are the reasons why I cannot modify the format properties (pen thickness, color, ...) of elements in a DWG/DXF file I have just imported?
There are four reasons why these elements cannot be modified.
1st -the elements are smart symbols:
- To retain the smart symbols but still be able to modify the elements, select Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Modify Smart Symbol(until V2006: Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Modify Display Parameters) and click the relevant element. Now you can modify it (using Modify Format Properties, for example). For more detailed information on how to modify smart symbols, please contact us.
- If you do not want to retain the smart symbol, you can also resolve it: Modify -> Bonus Tools -> Smart Symbols -> Unlink Smart Symbol, select the smart symbol(s) you want to resolve and click the right mouse button to confirm.
- To resolve the smart symbols during import, select the file to be imported, click the"Options..."button,open the "Advanced Settings" tab (until Allplan 2008 "Advanced Transfer Settings")and select the"Smart symbol"check box in the"Explode elements" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
2nd - theelements are composite elements:
- To explode a composite element, select Modify -> Advanced Draft -> Explode Composite Element. Select the composite element(s).
- To resolve the composite elements during import, select the file to be imported, click the "Options..." button, open the"Advanced Settings" tab" (until Allplan 2008: "Advanced Transfer Settings") andselect the "Composite elements"check box in the"Explode compounds" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
3rd - the elements are on frozen layers:
- To modify these elements, you first have to set the corresponding layers to modifiable. Open the layer selection by clickingFormat -> Select, Set Layers.On theSelect Layer/Visibilitytab, set all the layers to modifiable.
4th - the elements have the "from layer" format property:
- To find this out, click an element with the right mouse button and selectFormat Propertieson the shortcut menu: pen thickness, line type or line color is not available for elements with the "from layer" format property.
- To modify the format properties of the layer, select Format -> Select, Set Layers and open the'Format Definition' tab. Check that the''Match from layer based on line style, pen, line, color assigned (fixed setting)"optionis selected in the"Layers' format properties" area. Next, select the layer on which the element resides and change its format properties.
- To remove this property, clickEdit -> Modify Format Properties, select the"Change 'from layer' for pen, line and color" option(pen thickness, line type and line color must not be selected) and select the elements.
- To resolve the "from layer" property during import, select the file to be imported, click the "Options..." button, open the"Advanced Settings" tab" (until Allplan 2008: "Advanced Transfer Settings") andselect the "From layer"check box in the"Explode compounds" area. To confirm the dialog box, click OKand open the file.
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Elements_cannot_be_modified_after_import.pdf...
If you have any further questions regarding data exchange, this topic is described in detail in the online Help. All you need to do is press the F1 key. Open the Index tab and selectInterfaces.
How can I use Allplan to create PDF documents (Portable Document Format) that can be opened and viewed using PDF viewers such as the free Acrobat Reader?
You can export PDF files directly from Allplan.
In addition to the design, bitmap areas and text, the direct export tool transfers layers, OLE objects, transparency and gradients.
Of course, you can also use external programs such as Adobe PDF and FreePDF to create PDF files. However, these programs do not provide all the options mentioned above. For example, transparency is not transferred.
Allplan provides the following options for exporting PDF data:
1. using the layout editor:
Create -> Plot Layout -> Export PDF Data
2. using the print preview:
Click the Export PDF Data icon in the toolbar at the top
3. exporting 3D PDF files from the animation window:
You can create a PDF file from the animation window. This file contains the 3D model displayed in the animation window.
This option is not described any further in this FAQ.
When exporting PDF data, you specify the file name in a dialog box, where you can also make basic settings for the PDF file:
- Resolution (in dpi)
- Document size (paper size (with margin) or printable area (without margin))
- Entire layout content
- Archiving format PDF/A 1a
- Export layers
- Embed TrueType fonts
- Add to file (first select an existing PDF file in this dialog box and then select this option -> the PDF file is attached as a new page to the existing file)
- Grayscale (version 2011 and later)
- Open file with associated application (should be selected. After you have created it, the PDF file automatically opens in this application so that you can check it.)
Note on the page format (new in Allplan 2011):
In Allplan 2011 and later versions, you set up a page in Allplan. The page size should be used as the size for the PDF file.
You need to exactly define the size you require for the page.
To use the page size for exporting the PDF file, select the following options:
- Select 'Paper size (with margin)'.
- Clear the 'Entire layout content' check box, if necessary.
Notes on 1. settings in the Plot Layout module:
You can make advanced settings in the "Plot Layouts" dialog box.
The following settings are used for exporting PDF data:
- Plot elements / options (Selection tab)
- Paper format and orientation (Output tab); see the above notes on the page format.
- Resizing: Resizing factor, resize pen thickness and rotation by 90° (Settings tab)
- Pen and color assignments... (Settings tab)
-> Line thickness for monochrome output and line colors for color output
-> Line display in color, black or using shades of gray (can only be changed when you select a color printer beforehand)
-> Gamma correction
- No pen optimization/ Use one pen only (number:)
- Plot profile (Settings tab)
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Creating_PDF_files.pdf
Notes on 2. settings in the print preview:
The PDF file is exported as it is currently displayed on screen.
You can make the settings that are used for the "Print" tool directly in the print preview (Display tab in the Print Preview Options).
To export PDF data in color, you need to install a printer driver that supports color and select this driver in the layout before you start exporting the PDF data.
It is advisable to install a printer driver for a large-format color plotter such as an HP DesignJet even if your office is not equipped with a large-format printer/plotter.
[Install as a local printer/ without plug & play, port: FILE, do not share the printer, do not print a test page.]