How can I import data from an earlier version?
You can import data from the last three Allplan versions.
Consequently, the following import operations are possible:
Target version <- import possible from version
2017 <- 2014
2016 <- 2013
2015 <- 2012
2014 <- 2011
2013 <- 2009
2012 <- 2008
2011 <- 2006
2009 <- 2005
2008 <- 2004
2006 <- 2003
2005 <- 17
2004 <- 16
We cannot guarantee that data created in older versions can be imported and edited. The conversion of older data may be incomplete, which may affect intelligent components in particular.
1. Archived data from an earlier version (not older than three previous versions):
There are two ways to convert the data to the current version:
- Import the project backups created and archived using the
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects.
After importing the projects, convert them by opening each project once.
- Import the backups archived using the
Services application -> File -> Restore documents of any version to '...\Extern'.
The data are written to the external path.
You can now process the converted data in ProjectPilot.
2. Archived data from an older Allplan version (older than three previous versions):
- See whether you can use the approach described in step 1 to import the old projects.
- If available, it is a good idea to install an old Allplan version. Import the backups created and archived into this old version and convert the projects using the Services application. If you have imported a complete project backup, convert the data by opening each project once. When finished, repeat this process with a newer version (up to three versions later) until the data are up-to-date.
- If an old Allplan version is not available, you can also have the data converted by Allplan. Please note that this service is not free of charge. Please contact Technical Support -> firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can convert the data of all projects at once. Read the following FAQ in Allplan Connect: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20090408124904.html
- If enough hard disk space is available, you are advised to keep and maintain the projects so that Allplan automatically converts them to the current version whenever you upgrade.
- If there are project-specific smart symbol catalogs, you should open the smart symbol catalog once to convert the data.
Which server or server operating system can be used for data storage of Allplan.
Since Allplan 2018 for pure data storage we recommend as a server operating system Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016.
Please note also the compatibility to the used client operating systems when selecting the server operating system.
Windows Server 2008 R2 - Windows 7
Windows Server 2012 R2 - Windows 8.1
Windows Server 2016 - Windows 10
When you want to install Allplan on the server operating system (e.g.Citrix), you have to consider the corresponding system requirements. For Allplan 2016/2017 that eg is: Windows Server 2012 R2.
General information about the system requirements here:
Notes on NAS systems:
NAS server are not generally recommended. Because the product variety and quality is very diverse, no effective quality control can take place. We can give no guarantee about operability. In the past we had performance or stability problems, false representations up to the loss of data in some cases.
This phenomenon occurs most in NAS systems of the lower price segment, which have not installed sufficiently fast hardware. If nevertheless a NAS system is to be used we recommend generally a high-performance hardware and the use of the operating system "Windows Storage Server 2012".Загрузка PDF FAQ_EN_Server_operating_system_for_the_data_storage_...
Which graphics cards are recommended for Allplan?
Follow this link to see a list of the AMD/ATI & NVidia graphics cards manufacturers that are CERTIFIED FOR ALLPLAN.
We have tested the OpenGL functionality and the animation performance of various Allplan modules with specially prepared data with each of the cards available.
The tested drivers can be found on the homepage of the individual manufacturer. The driver versions that were used in the tests are included in the tables so that you can compare the data. However, we strongly recommend that you always installthe current driver of the manufacturer.
It is a good idea to check your system using the system tool you can find on our homepage:
Allplan 2011 was revised completely for accelerated graphical representation.
To guarantee full performance support for Allplan 2011 and later, please check that your graphics cards meet the hardware requirements for DirectX 10 & OpenGL 2.0 (chip-based). In addition, you need to install the current drivers. Allplan will automatically switch to the conventional drawing method when it starts and finds old graphics cards that do not meet the requirements stated above.
For more information on graphics card specifications, go to
We kindly ask you to understand that products of other manufacturers that are not mentioned have not been tested and therefore cannot be recommended.
How can I speed up installation and the process of opening dialog boxes in Allplan?
Change a setting on the Control Panel:
Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> (Advanced tab) -> Settings -> Security -> Check for publisher's certificate revocation -> clear this check box -> OK
Allplan is certified for Microsoft Windows 7 and has the "Compatible with Windows 7" logo. This certificate guarantees higher security and reliability but requires special programming such as signing DLLs.
When these components are accessed, the program checks whether the publisher's certificate is still valid.
This requires that the relevant computer is connected to the Internet. If this is not so, you can switch this option off.
This boosts performance.