Allplan does not react promptly or seems to hang after I have selected the "Open on a Project-Specific Basis" or "New Project, Open Project" tool.
One of the following virus scanners is running: Trendmicro, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avira, F-Prot and others.
What can I do to solve this problem?
Check whether updating the software of the virus scanner solves the problem.
If it doesn't, configure the real time scanner of the virus scanner so that it no longer scans the program folder and data folder of Allplan.
Start the Services application. Make a note of the following paths displayed in the Services application window:
General program data
Central file storage folder
Define these folders as exemptions in your virus scanner.
Bear in mind that virus scanners may be installed on the server and the clients (provided you work with a server).
For more information on the virus scanner, contact the manufacturer.
A new computer is to replace the existing one.
How can I transfer the existing data and settings of the existing Allplan installation to the new computer?
Please note that this solution only works with stand-alone versions.
Install the same version of Allplan on the new computer and transfer the data as follows:
1st - transferring the data:
Transfer the following folders from the old computer to the new one:
Project folder (PRJ)
Office standard folder (STD) and
User folder (USR)
You can determine the path to these folders on both the new computer and the old computer as follows:
Services application->Service->Hotline Tools->Showcfg: shows system variables ->OK
You can find the paths to the folders after PRJ, STD and USR.
2nd - transferring the toolbar configuration:
Export the configurations from the old computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Export...
You can then import the configurations to the new computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Import...
How can I import data from an earlier version?
You can import data from the last three Allplan versions.
Consequently, the following import operations are possible:
Target version <- import possible from version
2017 <- 2014
2016 <- 2013
2015 <- 2012
2014 <- 2011
2013 <- 2009
2012 <- 2008
2011 <- 2006
2009 <- 2005
2008 <- 2004
2006 <- 2003
2005 <- 17
2004 <- 16
We cannot guarantee that data created in older versions can be imported and edited. The conversion of older data may be incomplete, which may affect intelligent components in particular.
1. Archived data from an earlier version (not older than three previous versions):
There are two ways to convert the data to the current version:
- Import the project backups created and archived using the
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects.
After importing the projects, convert them by opening each project once.
- Import the backups archived using the
Services application -> File -> Restore documents of any version to '...\Extern'.
The data are written to the external path.
You can now process the converted data in ProjectPilot.
2. Archived data from an older Allplan version (older than three previous versions):
- See whether you can use the approach described in step 1 to import the old projects.
- If available, it is a good idea to install an old Allplan version. Import the backups created and archived into this old version and convert the projects using the Services application. If you have imported a complete project backup, convert the data by opening each project once. When finished, repeat this process with a newer version (up to three versions later) until the data are up-to-date.
- If an old Allplan version is not available, you can also have the data converted by Allplan. Please note that this service is not free of charge. Please contact Technical Support -> firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can convert the data of all projects at once. Read the following FAQ in Allplan Connect: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20090408124904.html
- If enough hard disk space is available, you are advised to keep and maintain the projects so that Allplan automatically converts them to the current version whenever you upgrade.
- If there are project-specific smart symbol catalogs, you should open the smart symbol catalog once to convert the data.
What are the differences between a major release, a service release and a hotfix?
The major release is the first release of a new version.
You can download it from the homepage.
www.connect.allplan.com -> Download -> Software packages
(requires login details for Allplan Connect)
A service release is a collection of improvements to the program, including all the service releases and hotfixes that have been released until now. In addition to improvements, it may also include new features.
You can also use a service release for a new installation or an upgrade (from a previous version).
You can download it from the homepage.
New customers get it as a DVD. Serviceplus customers get it on request.
In addition, they automatically get information about service releases.
www.connect.allplan.com -> Download -> Software packages
(requires login details for Allplan Connect)
A hotfix is an improvement to the program that will automatically be installed by Allplan Update.
The basis for the installation is a specific major release or service release.
Hotfixes are installed one after the other in the correct order, that is to say, first Hotfix 2015-1-1 and then Hotfix 2015-1-2.
Allplan automatically installs available hotfixes when it starts.
You can find more information on hotfixes in the following FAQ:
Install program updates as soon as they are available.
This document provides further information on installing Allplan 2019.
Backing up and archiving data:
We strongly recommend that you back up and archive all your data before you upgrade to Allplan 2019.
How to install
You can find detailed instructions on how to install Allplan 2019 in the following places:
- After you have downloaded and unzipped Allplan 2019, you can find the ‘install.chm’ file in the following folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2019\HelpFiles\English.
- Use the following link:
https://webdrive.allplan.com/s/4LrjrymoxESzC6p and open the General\Installation help\2019 folder.
Please read these instructions before you install Allplan 2019.
System requirements for Allplan 2019
How to handle licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2019
Some notes on installing Allplan 2019
If you want to switch from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019, you can choose between three installation options. We recommend using the second option: first-time installation and copy data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
1. First-time installation
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). Setup does not transfer any data or settings to the new installation.
If you want to transfer data later, you have the following options:
You can uninstall Allplan 2019 and then upgrade from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
You can integrate the data manually (requires administrative knowledge).
2. First-time installation and copy data from version
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). You can configure Setup to automatically copy the office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to the new installations folder.
This duplicates the data: You can use all projects, defaults and resources both in Allplan 2018 and in Allplan 2016/2017/2016. This way, you can test the new version without losing your 'old' Allplan version.
Bear in mind, though, that you should not mix data from different versions. Merging data later involves considerable time and effort.
2a. Continue with first-time installation and copy data from version
This option is available when you have already used the second installation option to install <Product_Version> to a computer that accesses the same data server. As a result, the data are already available.
3. Upgrade and transfer data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018
This option installs Allplan 2019 to an existing folder, converting Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019 and transferring all important settings. Afterwards, you can no longer work with Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
This does nor affect earlier Allplan versions (Allplan 2015 or earlier).
Installing on a network:
- If you work in a network environment (one common central file storage folder), you must upgrade all workstations to Allplan 2019. Beforeyou start installing, make sure that all workstations can be upgraded. For technical reasons, it is not possible to mix installations of different major releases. Any related problems area not covered by service contracts.
- During the upgrade, Allplan 2016/2017/2018 must not be running on any workstation.
- When installing with Workgroup Manager, make sure all workstations are checked in before you start upgrading.
Converting the data:
Data from earlier Allplan versions need to be converted to version 2019. Allplan 2019 automatically converts the data of a project you open. Click here for instructions on how to convert all projects in a single operation:
Click here for instructions on how to get your activation codes for Allplan IBD:
How can I permanently change the path settings presented for selection in specific tools (save, import)?
When you save, import and export elements or files, Allplan automatically proposes a specific folder where the data is saved or taken from.
You can specify which Allplan file type is saved in which folder. These folders are automatically presented in the "Save" dialog box of the relevant file type. However, you can change them at any time.
To set this proposed folder on an individual basis, do the following:
Select the Tools menu ->Options... -> Desktop environment(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options... -> Global Options-> "Settings"tab).
You can click thePAah setting sbutton to the right of Folders for savingto define defaults. You can choose Project, Private, Custom or Last for the path setting:
- Project: the file type is saved in the current project (not available for NDW and NPL files).
- Private: the file type is saved in the user's private project.
- Custom: you can specify any folder for the file type. To select the folder, click the path displayed in the Folder column and enter a new path or click ... in the Browse column and select the path in a dialog box.
- Last: the file type is saved in the path you selected last.
How can I update cross-section catalogs or install country-specific cross-section catalogs in Allplan 2011 and later?
To install and save cross-section catalogs in Allplan 2011 and later, select Tools -> Defaults -> Cross-Section Catalogs. A dialog box opens. You can find a folder symbol and a disk symbol at bottom left.
To install cross-section catalogs, use the folder symbol. Another dialog opens, where you can select the cross-section catalog file you want to install. Select the file to be installed and click "Open" to confirm. This installs the corresponding cross-section catalog, which you can now use in Allplan.
To install country-specific cross-section catalogs, select the "Ing" folder, which was created when you installed Allplan. You can find it in the Allplan installation path (e.g., c:\Nemetschek\Allplan 201x\New\Ing - more information on the Allplan installation path is provided below in the "Notes" section).
This folder includes the country-specify cross-section catalog files.
To save a custom cross-section catalog, use the disk symbol. Another dialog opens, where you can select any folder to save the cross-section catalogs currently used in Allplan.
To update cross-section catalogs, you may need administrator privileges. If necessary, log on as an administrator before you start the update.
To use the cross-section catalogs for a specific project only, set the path settings for the cross-section catalogs of this project to project before you install the cross-section catalogs. In Allplan, open the "File" menu and select "Open Project..." Click the corresponding project with the right mouse button. Select "Properties". A dialog box opens. In the "Path settings" area, set the "Bar and mesh cross-section catalogs" to "Project".
To determine the path where Allplan is installed, use the Services application and select Service -> Hotline Tools-> showcfg. The Services application window shows the path of the Allplan installation folder.
The following abbreviations are used for the country-specific cross-section catalogs in the file names (axyzqusr.txt):
tch Czech Republic
This document provides additional information on installing Allplan 2021.
We strongly recommend that you perform a complete data backup and archive this data before you upgrade to Allplan 2021!
Detailed installation instructions can be found in the following places:
- If you have downloaded and unpacked Allplan 2021, you will find the file install.chm in the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2021\HelpFiles\English
Please read these before installing Allplan 2021.
System requirements Allplan 2021
Licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2021
Extract from the installation instructions (see above)
If you want to switch from Allplan 2018/2019/2020 to Allplan 2021, you have three basic installation options.
1. New installation
Allplan 2021 is installed in a new folder. Any existing installations of Allplan (2020 or older) are not affected. No data and settings are transferred to the new installation.
The following options are available for transferring data later:
Uninstall Allplan 2021 and then upgrade Allplan 2018/2019/2020.
Integrating the data by hand (administrator knowledge required).
2. New installation with data copy from version
Allplan 2021 is installed in a new folder. Any existing installations of Allplan (2020 or older) are not affected. The office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) can be automatically copied from an existing version 2018/2019/2020 to the new installation folder.
In this way, you can create a duplicate dataset if necessary: all projects, standards and resources can be used in both Allplan 2021 and 2018/2019/2020. This allows you to test the transition to the new version in real life, while the existing Allplan installation remains fully functional.
Note, however, that this method of working should avoid parallel processing of data in both installations, as the subsequent merging is time-consuming.
2a. Continuation of new installation with data copy from version
This option is available if a new installation with data copy has already been performed on another computer accessing the same data server and therefore the data has already been transferred.
3. Upgrade with data transfer from version 2018/2019/2020
Allplan 2021 is installed in an existing folder. The existing installation of Allplan 2018/2019/2020 is converted to Allplan 2021 and all important settings are transferred (see also Limitations for Data Transfer). Allplan 2018/2019/2020 is then no longer available.
Any existing installations older than Allplan 2018 are not affected.
For network installations (shared 'central file storage folder'), only one main release version can be used - all workstations must be brought to Allplan 2021. Before starting the installation, make sure that all workstations have upgrade authorization. A mixed installation of different main versions is not technically approved. Complications that may arise are not covered by the maintenance contracts.
During the upgrade, no workstation may be running any version 2020, 2019 or 2018.
In case of an installation with Workgroupmanager all workstations must be checked in during the upgrade.
Data from older Allplan versions must be converted to version 2021. This happens automatically for projects opened in Allplan 2021. For instructions on how to convert all projects at once, click here:
How can I restore a lost building structure or layout structure?
To restore a lost or corrupt building structure or layout structure, you can do the following:
- Close Allplan.
- Open Windows Explorer, go to the central file storage folder of Allplan and open the "Prj"folder. Open the corresponding project folder and the "BIM" subfolder.
If the "Same folder name as project name" option is not selected for the project, a number is used for the folder name in the "Prj"folder. In this case, open the Services applicationand select the woprohotline tool (Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> wopro). Select the corresponding project by double-clicking its name. An information dialog box shows the folder and file name of the project.
- You can find an XML file for each structure in the BIM subfolder.
Objects derived from building structure:
Allplan_BIM_LevMo_"name of model".xml
- To restore the building structure from a backup, rename the existing file "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml" "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml.old", for example.
- Switch to the "Backup"folder, which you can also find in the"BIM"folder.
- Select the most recent file that had been created beforethe building structure was deleted, for example, "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml.27.5.2008--10-32-21.bak". The characters in bold indicate the date and time of the backup. Copy this file to the "BIM"folder.
- Rename this file by deleting the characters after ".xml". Now the file name is "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml".
- Restart Allplan. The last version of the building structure is displayed in the "Open on a project-specific basis"dialog box again.
Using Allplan 2009-2 and later, you can restore the layout structure from a *.bak file straight from the "Open on a project-specific basis: layouts"dialog box.
- Right-click the topmost structural level in the layout structure (project name) and select Load layout structure favoriteon the shortcut menu.
- Open the last version of the Allplan_BIM_LayoutStructure.xml file in the backup folder mentioned above.
If the *.bak files are not displayed, please follow the steps described above.
Does Allplan create backup files (*.bak)?
How can I use these files?
Allplan creates backup files when you do the following:
- Copy, Move Elements between Documents …
Allplan creates a backup file of the destination drawing file or layout.
- Deleting drawing files and layoutsin the "Open on a project-specific basis" dialog box
If you have selected "Create backup copies of drawing files", Allplan creates a backup file of the drawing file or layout.
- Importing data to drawing files
If you have selected "Create backup copies of drawing files", Allplan creates a backup file of the drawing file.
Note on points 2 and 3:
To select the "Create backup copies of drawing files" option, click
Tools -> Options -> Desktop environment -> Save/load area (until V2009 Global Options -> Miscellaneous -> Autosave, Backup)->Create backup copies of drawing files.
If need be, you can restore the original drawing file or layout.
Make a note of the drawing file number or layout number and determine the corresponding project folder as follows:
Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> wopro
Open this folder in Windows Explorer.
Rename the corresponding drawing file "tb000001.ndw" "tb000001.ndw.old" or the corresponding layout "pb000001.000" "pb000001.000.old.", for example.
Delete the bak extension from the corresponding bak file.
You have inadvertently copied the wrong elements to drawing file 4711.
1st step: exit the project in Allplan.
2nd step: delete file tb004711.ndw or rename it tb004711.ndw.old.
3rd step: find file tb004711.ndw.bak and rename it tb004711.ndw.
You have inadvertently copied the wrong elements to layout 815.
1st step: exit the project in Allplan.
2nd step: delete file pb000815.000 or rename it pb000815.000.old.
3rd step: find file pb000815.000.bak and rename it pb000815.000.
These backup files can considerably increase the volume of data to be backed up. So it is a good idea to delete the .bak files you no longer require before you start backing up data. To delete the .bak files, you can select the Services application and click Utilities -> Delete temporary files.
You can also find this information in the help for Allplan. Please refer to the topic "Using bak files".